Thursday, November 20, 2014

Productive, Rainy Days

I love stormy, gray days in Grenada. The mountain in front of my building is barely visible through the white cloud of rain. We are officially out of the rainy season but this week has poured more than ever. The Southeast end of the island where I live is now 10 degrees cooler than it has been in months. It's quiet except for the sound of rain amplified as it falls against the galvanize rooftop. These days I just hole up in my tiny apartment, listen to podcasts and paint. The rain gives me permission not to leave.

I've been looking back through old photos for inspiration. I have so many images from photoshoots with my friends over the  years. Sometimes pictures I thought were not useful for paintings are now revealing themselves as quite the opposite. I'm constantly practicing how to be loose with my paint application. I have a tendency to overwork things. I'm trying to let my sketches and pencil marks remain visible under the paint and I'm working so hard to let my mistakes just be and not fix them.


No comments:

Post a Comment