Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Duality

There are all these different concepts I have been thinking about in my work recently. For years, and still currently, I have been exploring feminism through portraiture by painting women as confident and in control of their own image. We are so saturated with images of women's bodies created for the male gaze, art for centuries has been this way. I'm really interested in what happens when the gaze is switched and the viewer becomes the viewed.
I've also been thinking a lot about theater and performance, creating and exploring different characters and personas and how this parallels the human struggle of self-identity and gender-identity. How do we negotiate this within ourselves? Are we constantly playing different parts, trying on different roles? How do we stay connected to all of these different parts of ourselves.
I've been feeling very halved these days. Torn between two homes, two ethnicities, the child and the adult, two dualing halves that want different things from day to day.
How does one communicate between these parts of ones-self? How does one communicate between different parts of one's life?


Duality




2 comments:

  1. Christina - I'm fascinated by what you say about taking the portrait out of the male gaze! How do you do this? How is the woman in control of her own image and body? Is it because you are a female painter? Does the model have something to do with it? is it bigger than that?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it's not so much that I'm trying to remove the male gaze but more that I am curious about how a woman's image changes when it is created to be looked at versus how they themselves want to be seen. For most of my work I have the models decide what they are wearing and how they are posed. I'm also exploring what happens when the gaze is reversed back out onto the viewer.
    Thanks for your comments and questions! It helps me work out all the things that go through my head when I paint.

    ReplyDelete