Monday, December 1, 2014

Studios

Since I left home 13 years ago every apartment I have lived in has had a dedicated space for making art. I have created studios in back porches, second bedrooms and in carved out corners of living rooms. The amount of space I have had has varied over the years and now, painting in the smallest nook ever of our tiny apartment, I am producing more work than I ever have before.

Looking into other people's studios is like watching performers getting ready back stage. You get this glimpse into this very private moment, their personal space. I visited Dali's home in Spain and got a tour into his home studio and I was mesmerized by how he organized his art supplies and where he sat when he painted and how he laid out his brushes. Sadly, I have no record of so many of the spaces I have called studios but here is a little of what I dug up.


 
 
 
 






This last photo is where I currently work in Grenada. It's really our kitchen table but the entire corner of the room has been taken over and is now a dedicated work area.

No comments:

Post a Comment